Computers and laptops are very attractive items for criminals. There are a number of precautions that you can follow to prevent yourself from becoming a victim of computer theft or fraud.
- Use security screws and bolts to make it harder for people without the correct tool to open the casing to steal parts (but check with the manufacturer that this does not affect any guarantee)
- Use passwords, make back-up copies on disk and ‘watermark' documents. This will help protect your copyright and will mean you have a copy of your work if the computer is stolen
- Take care with your financial information. Don't send your bank details in an email. If you are ordering goods over the internet, make sure the company has a secure server
- If you need to carry a laptop with you, try to be discrete about it. Many laptops have distinctive bags, so try to put it in something else. Carry disks in a different place
- Install a security system with sensors