An alarm system is an essential element in all households. Whether one lives in the big city or the platteland one cannot put all ones faith in locks that can be picked and dogs that can be poisoned.
That said an alarm system also needs some maintenance. It is advised that one tests an alarm system once a month. Which is relatively low maintenance compared to cleaning up after a dog.
Keep your alarm system’s manual handy when testing your alarm.
1. Read the manual thoroughly. While you can use a toaster after throwing its manual away it is advised to always keep the alarm system’s manual on hand.
2. Familiar yourself with the procedure for testing from the manual.
3. Memorise the disarm code and other procedures of disarming the alarm system.
4. Consult with your service provider, Free Alarms, if you are uncertain.
5. Warn all the people of the household of the alarm test
6. Close and lock all protected doors as if you are about to leave the house and want it to be secure.
7. Run the test operation on your system. When everything is ready, go ahead and punch in the keys to activate the test mode.
8. Test each sensor. Some systems will systematically tell you which sensors to check. Go throughout your house tripping every sensor to make sure the signal to the controller is strong. Listen for the alarm when you trip a sensor
9. Remember to re-alarm your system after the test has been completed.
10. Do not forget to test the non digital aspects of your security system such as locks, deadbolts, chains, windows, entry points and of course the health of the dog.